In 1947, Rocky D’Augustino, an orphan from New Haven, Connecticut, moved out west to California. One of the first things he discovered was that the wonderful pizza from his old neighborhood did not exist in his new hometown. Renting the old pharmacy building from the Mantelli family, Rocky introduced the first and only pizza house between Los Angeles and San Francisco. After nine years in business, Rocky decided to move north.
At that time, Frank D’Ambrosio Sr., also from New Haven, was looking for a business opportunity for his brother John and himself. When their WWII buddy, Luigi, expressed interest in joining his friends in the new venture, “Frankie, Johnnie, & Luigi Too!” was born.
In February 1958, Frank and his wife, Concetta (Tina), along with Mario and Enza Volpe, opened the original Giorgio’s Pizza House at 1445 Foxworthy Avenue, in the Foxworthy Shopping Center in San Jose, California. In 1960, they sold out to Louise and Anthony D’Ambruoso, affectionately known as “Sash and Lou” who were cousins to the family.
“Sash and Lou” owned and operated Giorgio’s from 1960 to 1968, at which time, Frank and Tina’s four sons, Don, Nick, Frank, and John purchased the restaurant. In 1972, they subsequently purchased “Frankie, Johnnie, & Luigi Too!” after the business changed hands briefly. Both restaurants are still owned and operated by the D’Ambrosio Family to this day, along with other locations throughout the Greater Bay Area.
With all our hearts, we want to express our gratitude for all the love, guidance and knowledge they all have shared in giving us. Our brothers and families will always strive to maintain the high standard of food, service, and value that they have set for us. Our restaurants are dedicated to them.
Forever in our hearts – “The Boys”